For serious homeowners, there’s nothing like a shotgun. At close range, it has the most effective stopping power of all, and hardened criminals wet their drawers at the sound of a pump-action’s ratchet in a small, darkened room. It’s an unmistakable sound and intimidating to anyone who recognizes it. [Ed. note: you can listen to it here.] Because the pellets spread out after leaving the barrel, the shooter doesn’t have to aim perfectly to cause significant injuries, allowing her to engage multiple targets more easily. And since preventing injuries to family members and other innocent bystanders is a priority in such situations, a shotgun’s pellets are less likely to penetrate walls, reducing the odds of collateral damage.
Most riot guns (as distinguished from other pump-action shotguns), now often called tactical shotguns by law enforcement professionals, are 12 gauge, too, and most non-lethal shells (beanbags, tear gas rounds, rubber slugs, electric shock rounds, and those designed to make loud noises to scare intruders and other animals away) are made to fit that bore. Homeowners, on the other hand, might gravitate toward 20-gauge riot guns. The riot gun’s shorter barrel makes it easier to manage, especially indoors, and the lighter gauge not only inhibits the pellets from penetrating walls, it also delivers less of a kick. As well, riot guns typically have little choke, providing a lot of spread over a small bit of space.
Ballistic Basics is in final edits. It's chock full of info applicable to writers of many genres, including romantic suspense, mystery, historical mystery, thriller, action, adventure, and anything set in a ballistics lab. And readers looking for a general primer on firearms and ballistics shouldn't be disappointed, either.
Thanks for stopping in. The list with everyone else's links is below, so click away and happy reading.
1. Bri Clark, paranormal
2. Jennifer Lowery~Romantic Suspense
3. Kay Springsteen, Regency
4. Sandra Nachlinger/Sandra Allen - Romance
5. Jean Joachim, Contemporary romance
6. Marsha Ward~Westerns with Heart & Grit
7. Sharon Cullen Romantic Suspense
8. Sarah Ballance (sensual romantic suspense)
9. Jenna Jaxon~Historical Romance
10. Patricia Kiyono, romance
11. Suzanne G. Rogers (Romantic Fantasy)
12. Dawne Prochilo- Contemporary Romance
13. Lindsay Downs-Mystery
14. Chynna Laird ~ YA
15. Carrie-Anne Brownian ~ 1960s historical fiction
16. Rachel Rossano - fantasy/romance
17. Jennifer Comeaux ~ Sweet Romance
18. J. Gunnar Grey, mystery~adventure, ballistics, and Regency
19. Dianne Hartsock-paranormal thriller
20. Beth Trissel Historical/Paranormal Romance
21. Lisa Beth Darling~Adult Chiller
22. Sherry Gloag Contemporary Romance
23. Tmonique Stephens-Paranormal Fantasy (LANGUAGE)
24. Elaine Cantrell Contemporary Romance
25. Gwendolyn Gage ~ Christian Fantasy
26. Leah Sanders ~ Sci-fi
27. Rachel Van Dyken - Romance