In this G-rated excerpt, the hero, Major Faust, is a German prisoner of war in England, and the luckless Sergeant Tanyon is responsible for getting Faust back to his cage in the messed-up aftermath of an air raid, with only one inexperienced soldier to help:
At the Patchley Abbey station, Tanyon and Faust waited outside while Norris used the new dial phone inside. When he returned, he shook his head.
“Sorry, sergeant, the car’s down. Sloane’s working on it.”
Tanyon swore again. His vocabulary had real depth, and Faust didn’t bother to hide his grin.
“How long?” Tanyon asked when he finally started repeating words.
“Did you ask?”
“You didn’t tell me to.”
“Training in initiative will always tell,” Faust said. At least he could figure out why Norris hadn’t gotten the corporal's stripe.
“You’re cruising, mate.”
“It’s a lovely day for a walk.”
Tanyon didn’t even glance at him. “Norris, pop over to the bakery and ask Mr. Oldfield if we can borrow his car.”
“Why can’t I stay here with him? I can’t drive, in any case.”
The sergeant scoffed. “How are you going to guard a prisoner without a weapon?”
“His cutting wit is enough to frighten me,” Faust said.
“That’s two,” Tanyon said, his face reddening.
When the prisoner is smarter than your only helper… maybe you'd be better off walking.
The Astraea Press 99¢ sale is good through the end of the month at both Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Lots and lots of great reads at a great price. Here are just a few, with links to Amazon:
Here's the Sweet List. Enjoy. Cheers,
1. Little Miss Straight Lace, M.E. Romana - Romantic Suspense (mild language)
2. Kay Springsteen, romance
3. Rachel Rossano - romantic fantasy
4. Jenna Jaxon~Historical Romance
5. Marsha A. Moore - Fantasy romance (mild language)
6. Sandra Nachlinger/Sandra Allen - Romance
7. J. Gunnar Grey, mystery~adventure
8. Marsha Ward~Westerns with Heart & Grit
9. Andrea Buginsky, YA fantasy
10. Carrie-Anne Brownian ~ 1970s historical fiction
11. Beth Trissel Historical-Paranormal Romance
12. Lindsay Downs, Regency
13. Leah Sanders - sweet historical romance
14. Tmonique Stephens, paranormal erotica with sexual language
15. Laurel-Rain Snow - Contemporary Fiction
16. Elaine Cantrell: romantic suspense