So, I thought I'd share the opening to the story I've submitted. The title is Shakedown, the genre is mystery~adventure, and it's rated G but has mildly naughty language.
Guadalupe Mountains National Park
Culberson County, far West Texas
“Captain Kelly Bonham? Here he is,” said the SUV’s driver, punctuating his words full stop by slamming the vehicle’s door. “Your rescue dog.”
Yeah. Right. Bonnie rubbed her hands on her fatigue pants. Silly, to feel nervous over a dog. It wasn’t like she’d accepted a blind date or anything outrageous. Dogs generally liked her and the more she saw of dogs, the more she preferred them to every single man she knew. But still her palms itched, as if she’d done something stupid and expected to regret it.
Through the tinted side windows, all she could see was a dark outline, sitting stiffly upright in the rear seat. It seemed to be staring at her. Sure, great. Make me even more nervous.
The driver trudged around the SUV’s front, a Texas Rangers ball cap tugged down crookedly over his eyes. His lopsided grin tucked up his cheek on one side, leaving the other side of his face serious, and he set a clipboard and two stuffed file folders on the hood in passing.
“His name’s Pojo,” the driver said. “That’s Papa Oscar Juliet Oscar. He’s a registered German Shepherd, but not suitable for showing.” He popped open the rear door and held it for her with a flourish.
Bonnie wiped her hands again and leaned over.
From the shadows, the most incredible pair of eyes stared back at her. Not the usual canine brown or black — but amber, gleaming pools of expensive, honey-toned Baltic amber, the sort of thing usually seen strung into a rich woman’s necklace. Wary, thoughtful eyes, staring without blinking as if weighing her in the balance. A shock rippled along Bonnie’s spine. This wasn’t a dog who’d wash her face, chase a ball, roll over for a tummy rub. This was a dog who made his own decisions. And he was making one right now.
Without looking away, he yawned, showing off an impressive collection of huge, glistening teeth, a dark mouth, an amazingly long tongue. His jaws stretched so wide, her head started to spin at the cavernous space opening before her. Then he snapped his jaws closed, teeth clacking.
And looked away. As if she no longer existed.
Oh, crap. Had she ever made a mistake.
Below's the Sweet List. Cheers,
1. Marsha A. Moore - Fantasy romance
2. Kay Springsteen contemp/reg
3. Sarah Ballance (sensual romantic suspense)
4. Meg Mims - Cozy Historical Mystery
5. Sandra Nachlinger/Sandra Allen - Romance (mild language)
6. Benjamin Wallace - Comic Fiction & Humor
7. Heidi Murphy-Paranormal romance, SF, romance
8. Jenna Jaxon~ historical Romance
9. Tmonique Stephens~Paranormal Romance
10. J. Gunnar Grey, mystery~adventure (mild language)
11. Marsha Ward~Westerns with Heart & Grit
12. Elaine Cantrell, contemporary romance
13. Lindsay Downs-historical romance
14. Leah Sanders - sweet historical romance
15. Rachel Rossano - romantic fantasy
16. Carrie-Anne Brownian ~ 1970s historical fiction
17. Sherry Gloag - contemporary romance
18. Joselyn Vaughn ~ contemporary romance
19. Laurel-Rain - women's fiction
20. Chynna ~ young adult
21. Ute Carbone-Romantic Comedy
22. Mirriam Smyth - Contemporary Romance (language)
23. S.G. Rogers - Mythic Fantasy