Up the ladder and in the cockpit, The Righteous Brothers crooned from a docked MP3 player on the center panel. Wings Cadal gripped the pilot’s yoke with both hands, blue-white glare from the side-panel dome light making his knuckles look tighter than they really were as he made the minute course corrections of flying the Spartan. He sat straighter and leaned forward, as if peering through the fog bank ahead for land sweet land. In the right-hand seat, Pat hunched his broad shoulders over the instrument panel, casting a big shadow and blocking the view. Even with the sidelights on, in the enveloping pre-dawn greyness their forms lacked detail and depth.
“Not a flipping tweet.” Pat leaned back and with his solid frame and shadow out of the way, the electronic navigation and radar displays showed blank. “All the interesting stuff’s gone.”
“We’ve lost the avionics, Sherlock,” Wings said, his voice as unruffled as ever. “But the important stuff, the hydraulics and electrical system, appear to still be with us.”
“Navigation? Autopilot? Defense systems?”
“All gone.” If any such deprivation bothered Wings, he hid it well. His normal unflappability remained unflapped.
“Is this one of the old man’s tricks?” Sherlock grabbed the fraidy-cat handle, bolted between the two banks of overhead windscreens, and braced as the Spartan shuddered again. The white South Foreland cliffs gleamed through their dark, foggy curtain, the glow of tightly-packed city lights to their left, all of it approaching too slowly for his land-bound preferences.
Wings actually turned and treated him to a seconds-long, wondering stare. “You’re paranoid about that man.”
“For excellent reason.” He leaned over and thumbed off the MP3 player. “Sorry, guys, but we’ve lost more than that loving feeling."
And don't you know it.
Below's the list for all of our wonderful contributors. Click, read, and enjoy. Cheers,
1. Sandra Nachlinger/Sandra Allen - Romance
2. Sarah Ballance (sensual romantic suspense)
3. Kay Springsteen/contemporary and regency
4. Jenna Jaxon, historical romance
5. Carrie-Anne Brownian ~ 1960s historical fiction with romantic elements
6. J. F. Jenkins Fantasy
7. Marsha Ward~Westerns with Heart & Grit
8. Rachel Rossano - romantic fantasy
9. J. Gunnar Grey, mystery~adventure
10. Patricia Kiyono, romance
11. Jennifer Comeaux ~ Contemporary Romance
12. Leah Sanders - sweet historical romance
13. Rebecca Sinclair, historical romance
14. Chynna Laird ~ YA
15. Ann Cory, sensual romance
16. Lindsay Downs-Mystery
17. Tmonique Stephens~Paranormal Romance (LANGUAGE)
18. Joselyn Vaughn ~ contemporary romance
19. S.G. Rogers - Fantasy Adventure
20. Mirriam Smyth - Contemporary Romance
21. Elaine Cantrell contemporary romance